PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON History and Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2015, 20:50
LTNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When we parked the BA B747 on the south apron we didn't realise at the time that the top of the tail penetrated the 1:7 Transistional Surface. This why the Cargolux is parked at an angle nose out.
Now I seem to remember another pair of Corsar 747's parking on the south stands nose in as they stood out like sore thumbs as I headed for the tunnel. Anyone like to confirm or was it just a fantasy?

(Edit) found this parking nose out so maybe this is what I was thinking about but I am sure there was a pair

Origin of photo unknown

Might I ask, respectfully, as to why any 747's would want to land/be diverted to LTN when STN is just close by, has ample parking and a long runway ? Luton, a fine airport otherwise, is restricted by runway length and taxiway restractions, not to mention parking.
I can remember a 747 belonging to Kalatta Air that came to Luton to pick up an engine for Monarch. I have a photo taken from the tower, the photo shows Harrods hangar and the pier so was this the last 747 into Luton? I think the photo was taken by someone here.

I think the Cargolux came to Luton because Luton was approved to handle horses at that time and even had a sort of stables just off the cargo apron.

Last edited by LTNman; 14th Apr 2015 at 04:55.