PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jets V Heli's
Thread: Jets V Heli's
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2015, 06:08
SimonK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well this deteriorated fast. Good old pprune.

You think a helo is an easy target and you are almost certainly right against a single one lumbering around at height over flat terrain, flown in a non-tactical manner with no crew experience of fighter evasion and/or an RWR. However, the reality of what all of us rotary guys seem to be saying is a western crew/formation trained in evasion, employing good lookout and flying tactically is another matter entirely. Having flown and taught HvF against all manner of pointy things over ten years the only aircraft that regularly seemed able to 'win' when it got into the merge was the AlphaJet. Finding us, would of course be a different matter entirely for the AJ.

What I don't think you might appreciate (no offence meant) is there is a big difference in a 2 or 3 crew Mi8 (generally flown medium level like a FW) with no RWR and no experience of HvF vs a modern helicopter with 3 or 4 crew employing good lookout techniques, tactical low flying, route selection, RWR and trained in HvF techniques etc etc.

So I don't think its anywhere near as 'easy' as some of you make out, which is all I think that Evalu8ter was saying. He and I worked hand in hand with your brethren for a very long time and my experience as previously outlined was backed up by the debriefs received from them both in the air and afterwards on the ground. Nobody is trying to point score here, just trying to explain our experiences, which in turn is as valid as your experiences.

Interesting to hear your experiences of actual intercepts in Bosnia if you are able to share the detail....ie height, speed, terrain.....what actually happened?