PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Instructor Selection
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2015, 02:36
NZHeliks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From a student point of view

I've spent over 2 years talking to schools, pilots, technicians, Engineers before deciding on the best place to give myself the best chance of a step up into the industry and found this:

Many schools have under 500 hour instructions which were all C cat (FI I think?) which to me were still students themselves. I was told a CPL H is just a licence to learn, how can a pilot with little hours tech experience they don't have?

Schools had no "work experience" to tech you, just a syllabus that was inline with CAA. I feel there's a lot more than just learning to fly and getting a plastic card with your name on it. From a background of engineering, SOP, risk management systems and a like, I feel the learning how a aviation business runs, it's safety practices and procedures is key to being a pilot.

I've been lucky to find a commercial helicopter business that runs up to 4 students with 2 very high hour (3000 to 8000) B Cat (CFI ??) instructors who encourage us to be part of the business and help out were we can, meet other pilots / engineers that fly in from other companies and generally take in as much exposure to the industry as we can.

In an answer to the thread I feel there should be a higher minimum hour limit to gain a C cat, better and ongoing training to keep that C cat and extra training in real world aviation like the engineering side were your with an experienced person for a good number of hours to understand and practice safe flying.

Should CFI training be like an apprenticeship that's reviewed and tested in a constant time bracket?

Like others have said, you will never improve the industry unless you start with good basic training at the start, for that training to be pasted to the next generation of pilots when it's there time to pass on there skills.