PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA and the Future of GA
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2015, 02:11
CYHeli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time to allay some fears regarding the ATPL;

There is a transition period for a reason. Anyone who requires an ATPL for a job advertised today will require a certain amount of flying experience for that position. As part of the process of gaining that experience, most likely as an FO / Co-Pilot, they would probably already have an ATPL under the old rules.

Anyone who is applying for a new position as an FO / Co-pilot is normally required to have commenced their ATPL theory subjects and their IREX at the time of applying. They don’t yet need to hold an ATPL. So the new rules shouldn’t impact upon them, in the short term.

Many jobs are single pilot, but the contract requires the pilot to hold an ATPL, some police and EMS jobs for example. The need to hold an ATPL for single pilot jobs is beyond what the rules and the law requires. Now a contract can call for higher standards, but the customer needs to understand what limits this is going to impose on their potential recruiting base. I am ignoring the fact that the pre-requisites for these positions will normally require the sort of experience that is gained in the off-shore world of the heavy twins, so they are likely to hold an ATPL anyway.

Any predictions of the future (good or bad) of the off-shore market are welcome.

Now some quick references;
61.700 Requirements for grant of air transport pilot licences—General

(3) The applicant must also have:
(c) passed the flight test mentioned in the Part 61 Manual of Standards for the air transport pilot licence and the associated aircraft category rating; and
(d) met the aeronautical experience requirements of this Subpart; and
(e) completed an approved course of training in multi-crew cooperation.

(6) For paragraph (3)(c), the flight test for the air transport pilot licence with the helicopter category rating must be conducted in:
(a) a turbine-powered helicopter that is:
(i) certificated for night VFR operations; and
(ii) configured for flight, and operated, with a co-pilot; or
(b) an approved flight simulator for the flight test.

61.710 Aeronautical experience requirements for grant of air transport pilot licences—helicopter category
(1) An applicant for an air transport pilot licence with the helicopter category rating

(g) at least 50 hours of flight time at night as pilot of a helicopter; and
(h) at least 30 hours of instrument time; and
(i) at least 20 hours of instrument flight time in a helicopter.

The general understanding is that the test must be in a helicopter that requires two pilots, not simply a light twin (AS355 for example) with the duals in. The alternative is an approved SIM and most from CASA whom I have spoken to have indicated a preference for the SIM option. Less risk.

Only a Part 142 school can run a multi crew course (61.700 (3)(e)), but the even bigger concern is that the applicant for an ATPL must hold 30 hours of instrument time and 50 hours at night. My prediction is that in the future we will get used to completing the ATPL and IREX theory before joining an off-shore company as an FO. The big players (CHC, Bristow, Bond) will have to be approved locally as Part 142 organisations to run the above courses (IF & multi crew co-operation). And you know what? They are currently doing most of this and will do it very well into the future. They have the greatest depth of experience, Simulators, $$, etc to carry out the job well. Only then will a pilot be able to sit the ATPL flight test and be issued with an ATPL (H) licence.

Are the fears justified?
We have to change the way we see our career progression. There is no way anyone can afford to spend the money on a night rating and IF rating and the flight time required in a helicopter to ‘buy’ their own ATPL. The newer pilots and the customer all have to realise this.

Is it a bad thing? Some will instantly say yes, simply because it is change. What was the point of the change? I tend to agree with that, where’s the safety case!?

Unfortunately, without massive political influence, the system is not going to change. Not happy? Please write to your local MP. Are you in a Labor seat? Even better! They enjoy sticking it to the Coalition.

If it doesn’t change, welcome to a scared new world. One day we will get used to the new system and there will be more understanding and less fear.

My advice, keep studying! Pilots will still need to study their CPL, ATPL and IREX subjects. Get on line or purchase the new VPG for every day use.

Understand the new rules as best that you can because there are more coming. As discussed at Avalon, there are 12 helicopter related projects on the go right now at CASA, coming soon to a cockpit near you!