PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2015, 21:16
LN-KGL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bayer328, the last year I sadly have to admit that I have only had one flight to MAN - in August last year. After that I've been busy the next two months fighting cancer (I'm now cancer free, but you never know if and when the big C will make a new visit). After that I've had a one week work trip to Hampshire last week in November and three weeks ago I was back after almost two weeks in Chile (again a work trip). What the coming months will bring I don't know, but I guess MAN will get two or four passengers in their statistics because of me this spring and summer. This is below my yearly average the last 13 years, but then I'm scheduled for a corrective plastic surgery in May. The main reason for me flying to MAN is not connected to the colours red and light blue. I have found my home away from home in your neighbourhood - a small hotel in Cheshire. This spot is perfect for exploring the northern part of Wales, Midlands, Yorkshire and the Humber and obviously the North West region.

Now a few examples of what I've done based in Cheshire:
- Visited a secret hangar filled with ex. Sovjet aircraft.
- Interviewed the BBMF boss for their 50 season (2007) Al Pinner and had longer chat with the next boss Ian Smith about the differences between flying Merlin and Griffon engined Spitfires.
- Searched and found the last hangar at Burtonwood (only weeks later it was gone).
- Visited the Hack Green secret nuclear bunker.
- After having finished a pint at the RAF 617 squadron pub I payed my respect to the victims by visiting the nearby graveyard.
- Learn more about the use of Tall Boy sinking the Tirpitz at Yorkshire Air museum.
- Bought an icecream at Scripps Garage.
- Found Eastvale.
The last two are not exactly connected to aviation or the military, but still some of you will nod knowingly.