PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - unreliable airspeed jet transport aircraft
Old 12th Apr 2015, 14:33
parabellum
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure if it is still there, but in the back of the Vol 3. (I think), of the Boeings I have flown, (B737,747-400,757 and 767) there was a table of settings for flight with unreliable airspeed, (one of the few pages rarely amended as it was a copy of a print out from all the certification test flying).
Most guys had this copied, laminated and stuck in the back of their clip board. I would be surprised if Airbus didn't have a similar table. Given that there are three ASIs, a failure of all three is very unlikely but not impossible.

During a training session in the SIM we would sometimes practice a failure of the handling pilots ASI at the top of descent right down to landing, with all the configuration changes involved etc. Two, working as a team, non handling pilot with the table in their hand, calling the settings and it was invariably a successful landing. It is wrong, in a big way, to suggest that a pilot should have memorised all the variables of N1/2, EPR, attitude for all configurations and speeds from cruise to landing.

Personally I think it should be practised more often, it builds confidence in the event it should actually happen. Bit of a shock if the first time you have to do it is for real!

Last edited by parabellum; 12th Apr 2015 at 14:46.