PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - unreliable airspeed jet transport aircraft
Old 12th Apr 2015, 12:32
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot training and airmanship application needs improving. I just saw The "Air Crash Investigation" of an ATR crash due to icing on the upper surface of the wings. This lead to much in flight testing of the capabilities of the de-icing boots and general operation techniques in icing conditions. What I found very disturbing was the crew behaviour to an unusual attitude of the a/c. I assume the tv presentation was accurate. It was reported that they were holding/cruising in icing conditions. The a/c was flying a little more nose up than normal. The pilots perceived this as an uncomfortable body angle for the cabin crews who were dong a trolley service. Rather than think/wonder and investigate why the a/c should not be behaving normally they elected to extend flaps to 'lower the nose' and make it more comfortable. The consequence of this was to increase the flow back of ice on the wings. The program suggested that was the end of the thinking/wondering why process. That blasé attitude is what I find disturbing; it led to a minor incident becoming a fatal crash. There are serious other such scenarios around the world. Time to wake up guys. It once again brings up the never ending circular discussion about whether 3-4 years experience and being an SOP guru is enough for todays captains. It also brings up the discussion about why it is that Turbo-Prop regional captains, who operate a lower powered a/c in the more challenging weather conditions and challenging airports, are mostly less experienced and much less remunerated than their glitzy jet peers. A captain/crew with 30/50/75/150/200 pax lives at stake should be treated more equally in qualification and rewards. Sorry for thread creep but I think we need more thoughtful pilots that often seems to be the case.