PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2015, 11:17
Shed-on-a-Pole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bayer328 -

There is no need to take LN-KGL's posting so personally. And remember that denigrating another city is a very immature way of demonstrating appreciation for your own.

I have visited probably in excess of 200 cities around Europe on citybreaks. And whilst I enjoyed seeing most of them, it is not illogical that the one just visited rarely remains the top priority for my next excursion. There are always new places to see and enjoy. Prioritising the unexplored implies no slight against those already experienced by an enterprising tourist.

As residents, we believe that Manchester can offer an excellent citybreak experience for the right customer. And with the benefit of our local knowledge, we can also point to a wealth of attractions within easy reach which would keep a suitably briefed visitor intrigued for a month. BUT, most overseas tourists don't know about these ... it is up to us to market the wider region effectively. A visitor who has 'seen and done' Manchester may be wholly unaware of Chester, The Lake District, Snowdonia, York / Durham and many other amazing places easily accessed via this airport.

Where I diverge from LN-KGL is in his use of the word "many". There are actually "many" potential citybreak customers who have never visited Manchester. They far outnumber those who have. The city must work to persuade these to consider a visit. And then educate them about the further attractions which lie within easy reach of Manchester Airport. Manchester can serve as a central base for visits to a wider region offering a wealth of natural beauty, history and culture.

Many visitors may indeed make a citybreak to Manchester just the once. That is not a snub, just the real world. They will be looking to enjoy new destinations. If we can persuade them to return and enjoy the wider region on a future visit, great. But most importantly, we need them to return home and tell their FRIENDS that Manchester is a brilliant choice for THEIR next citybreak.