PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do YOU always fully check your controls before flight?
Old 12th Apr 2015, 03:20
Aussie Bob

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
Invoking grace in an aviation context is a slippery slope. In the limit, you'd chuck away the check lists and say a prayer or two. Call me a heathen atheist but I have a suspicion this might not work so well.
I agree, I am not a particularly religious person, perhaps I would be better to simply say read "Fate is the Hunter" by Ernie Gahn.

I have long lost count of the number of BFR/AFR's I have conducted and my observations from some are the only reason the crash doesn't happen is because nothing ever goes wrong.

I do also recall an incident long ago when flying skydivers in a 182. I was totally destracted mid way through the pre take off checks by a lengthy ATC clearance. When I tried to rotate I then noticed that the nail the operator was using for the column lock was still firmly in place. Fortunately it was a long runway. Did I learn? Sure did, I am of the same opinion as others on this thread that this check should be done twice, once in the pre take off checks and once just as the aircraft is rolling.

The point is, had the nail been removed, to this day I would remain convinced that the control check had indeed been done. Needless to say the nail got discarded and the operator purchased the correct item. An alarm bell also rings when someone tells me they never forget a check.