PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish A330 incident, Kathmandu
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2015, 18:05
FO Cokebottle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beyond VNKT......yes, indeed???

7478ti I have heard that "drone drivers", sitting in their air conditioned connexes, are putting them in an alarming rate - but that maybe another argument/thread for another day.

Automation dependency and complacency will always be a factor which can not be ignored. Then there are the "knowledge" and "experience" factors that are required so that you now what is doing and what it has to do next, thus actively "monitoring" the FMA changes, speeds, decent rates and distances to which where derived from the NAV Database and how they relate to the approach chart for your category of aircraft.

In short, you have to know what it all means and how it applies and remains within legality.

Anyone can select RWY xx RNAV APP with a XXXXX TRANSITION and sit back and watch letting it fly all the way to touch down and roll out - its knowing why and for what reason at the particular airport for this runway and what to do when degradation occurs both the aircraft required systems and from the signal.

After all, this particular accident occurred after RNAV(RNP) approach with a DA(H) of 4650' with a threshold height of 4318 which will give a required visual segment of 332'. However, due to "legalities" this approach is to be conducted as a non-precision approach, so, an additional 50' has to be added to the DA(H). The resultant vertical/height minima is well above the standard CAT I to which you are expected to perform a manual landing after "breaking out" and with runway "environment" visual. In fact, it is common to fly a CAT I ILS manually.

My point is that it is necessary to understand what is going on and the "flight" is in accordance with the Company's OPS SPEC.

The posted pax video indicates that the aircraft descended into fog well after the DA(H). I hark back to the decision making process from the beginning back in Istanbul.

Believe it of not 7478ti, but out on the line, doing a basic GNSS/LNAV approach, the number of times I have said., "you're in VNAV ALT - you know that, right" and the response was "yes, I know" and then we go over the FAF and bloggs just sits there staring at the PFD - looking at what?? who knows. My intervention then is required. OR they do it when they are in VNAV SPD.

System understanding let alone understanding VNAV is in very short supply - most don't know they are required to look at the RNP value to check it is within the required value before conducting the approach - and you want them to get their heads around GLS/GBAS?