PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jets V Heli's
Thread: Jets V Heli's
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2015, 12:48
SimonK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Done a fair bit of HvF teaching myself with both Evalu8ter and others and also had a backseat ride in a Hawk vs 2xChinooks.

Like Evalu8ter I had to regularly talk the jets on despite them having your exact track and distance from the bull.....the helicopters are very difficult to see if being flown correctly with good lookout and in a tactical way. We often had to talk them back on after the merge itself to get a good fight for the trainee, as with a good bit of terrain you could quickly get away if in something smaller like a Puma or Lynx.

From sitting in the back of a Hawk I thought it would be easy to see two big lumbering Chinooks, but it wasn't....it was bloody difficult for both of us even though we knew where they were and as soon as the formation split it was even harder. There was no way a single seat jet would have been able to down both (one even?) aircraft without a lot of luck on his part and a total lack of awareness/ability on the other side. I'm fairly sure a direct overflight at very high speed would cause all manner of trouble for the helo, but I'm also fairly sure that it would be a very difficult manoeuvre to pull off against an 'aware' target and there is huge scope for the jets to get it very wrong. Certainly the drivers I spoke to in my past life weren't particularly keen on doing it....or so they said

So I think any kill would be a lucky break for the jet driver with the helo crew thumb up bum doing other things. Probably whinging about JPA and the low quality of their bag rats. Probably.