PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do YOU always fully check your controls before flight?
Old 11th Apr 2015, 11:41
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 431 Likes on 227 Posts
I've always said something along the lines of "stick right right aileron up left down, stick left left aileron up right down" while looking to check they're actually doing it - doesn't seem right not to check both of them for each direction of movement.
As far as "in the correct sense" is concerned, I used to teach my students to make sure that the control surfaces (ailerons and elevator) move upwards when the stick was moved towards them and vice versa.

But "Full and free" movement definitely not done in a helicopter. I was once nearly killed by an ancient RAF Group Captain (an ex WW2 Mosquito pilot), who tried it prior to his famil. flight in a Whirlwind 10. I had finished my sortie and were in the process of a rotors running crew change. I had vacated the right seat and was standing outside, on intercom, leaning against the aircraft, waiting to remove the wheel chock. The QHI in the left seat helped the Gp Capt to strap in then told him to confirm he could reach the controls. Without further ado, he carried out a full and free movement check, including pulling the collective! Because the rotors were at flying speed, the aircraft began to lift and roll to the right and then lurched in yaw to the left, pushing me across the concrete. I just ran for it! My intercom lead went tight and my head got snatched rearwards but I stayed on my feet and kept going. A suitable debrief was held.