PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To all those looking for a new job.
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2015, 07:53
Pinky the pilot
Man Bilong Balus long PNG

Location: Looking forward to returning to Japan soon but in the meantime continuing the never ending search for a bad bottle of Red!
Received 96 Likes on 55 Posts
Skydiveandy has brought up some very good points actually, because it reminds me of some of the resumes that used to land on the Boss's desk (approximately three per week!) at Simbu Aviation all those years ago.

I remember one morning Richard (God rest his soul) handing me the latest one to arrive and asking me what I thought of it. From memory it ran to somewhere near 6 pages and featured a photograph of a 747 on takeoff on the front page.

It went on to list where the applicant was born, raised, educated; Primary and Secondary, where he worked after leaving school, the Flying School where he did his training, interests outside Flying, hobbies etc etc.

By the time I reached the last page I must have been rolling my eyes as Richard mentioned that I should file it in the 'circular file' once I'd finished reading it, adding that he had already briefly perused it himself and no longer required it.

However, he had made a note of the Applicants address as he always replied to them, mostly with a standard form letter stating that their experience fell below the required minimums if they indeed did. Otherwise they got a 'you will be kept on file for a month' letter.

The point is that the whole resume was a huge overkill! Richard once told me that a single page resume with a single page covering letter was all he required! And also that if they didn't already have the minimums, which for him was 1000hrTT, MEIFR and preferably a bit of remote area experience, then they should not bother sending anything!

There was another one which arrived a bit later where the applicant easily had the minimums and possibly would have scored a job with Simbu but the resume and covering letter were full of mis-spellings and poor grammar.

That's another story.