PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet - 4
Thread: EasyJet - 4
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2015, 23:22
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can see it happening when easyJet take over almost all of the South Terminal.
I'm pretty sure it is the North terminal they are moving to and I can't see all of the U2 management with their Hertfordfordshire homes moving to LGW. They're not going to commute accross London every day.
Isn't U2 at LGW too much airline for one just terminal, like BA at LHR-3 and LHR-5?

Gatwick want secure a large airline for when the third runway at Heathrow goes ahead (Decision made but won't be publicised until some time after the elections).
Very optimistic! Agree that it makes sense, but are you sure about this?

Gatwick will offer cheaper land for the HQ to be built on, as well as airport fee reductions. In return, Easy Jet will keep Gatwick as their main hub for years to come and will not operate and "major" operations from Heathrow.
The whole idea of easyJet supporting Heathrow's expansion is to protect it's slots and market share at Gatwick. If a third runway is built at Gatwick then easyJet are the biggest losers with increased competition and the value of their slots diminish. If Heathrow is the winner then easyJet protects its position as number 1 in Gatwick and gets to cherry pick routes at Heathrow probably with flights in from other bases.
In the event of a third LHR rwy, no routine delays and oodles of capacity, think that U2 would find the lure of free slots there too much to resist, especially as (1) there’s loads of money to be made at LHR (without the overheads of slot costs) with its wealthy catchment area to the west of London; (2) it’s chasing business pax of which plenty use LHR; and (3) FR has stated that it will never operate from LHR (and FRA), so a major rival is out of the way.

All speculation of course.