PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight vis, locale, and experience
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2015, 21:16
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by maxred
6.I do not think ppl trainees are being taught any of this. It does appear that experience is the teacher, and that individuals find out, generally the hard way, what it is really like to be caught in this stuff.
I teach it. My home drome is right next to a channel about 2 miles wide that opens to a bay away from the airport that extends another 5 miles or so. There is a small airport 11 miles away near the end of the bay on top of a rise that is about 300 feet higher than the surrounding terrain. So I pick a "nice" day ideally 600 -700 foot over cast and vis less than 3 miles and the exercise is to get to the little airport and land. Almost all of them can't find the airport unless I cue them and then most of them get discombobulated trying to fly a circuit at 300 -400 feet AGL. A surprisingly large number even get lost on the way home to the airport they have done all their flying out of.

When we get home the they invariably remark "HOLY S*HIT !" and then they go to say " I see what you mean when you say you don't want to be out flying in these kind of conditions even though it is legal VFR "