PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK SAR 2013 privatisation: the new thread
Old 10th Apr 2015, 20:05
JerryG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry Al-bert, I can't let that go by without some very specific responses

it's a pity that the truth re the Fastnet has been suppressed, and you were too junior at the time to know what was going on.
Junior ... very possibly, but I was a bit busy that day to be arguing politics on a telephone!

The RN controlled the whole debacle
136 lives saved in one day is a "debacle" is it? I'm afraid you go beyond the bounds of inter-service banter Sir.

and the professional assets of the RAF were rejected
Wrong. The RAF Nimrod, as an appropriate asset to the task, was gratefully received by us all and did an outstandingly professional job

I had three SAR Wessex crews under my command and ready to go from Valley.
The boys at Valley were admired by us all for their mountain expertise. Furthermore, although I concede that I'm guessing here, Wings would have been making a balanced judgement between Wessex from afar versus Seakings on his own doorstep manned by pilots whom he knew (and whose suitability he could therefore judge) personally.

Two Whirlwinds at Brawdy were available
WHIRLWNDS! ... on Fastnet day? ... you cannot be serious.

I reiterate my plea that this forum be used for handing experience forward. In that context why don't we old f^rts put aside 35 year old (plus some) grievances and discuss how that event would and should be handled if it happened again tomorrow within the new SAR framework?