PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS to charge for AFPEx access at GA aerodromes
Old 10th Apr 2015, 07:47
TheOddOne

Location: Down at the sharp pointy end, where all the weather is made.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
... and Rocketroute.

The problem isn't in generating flight plans, it's small aerodromes having access to a system that allows them to have an alert to inbound and outbound flights that have filed for their location and being able to activate other pilots' flight plans. So far, a system that enables all this and enables those who cannot justify the cost of a subscription to either Rocketroute or Skydemon to generate flight plans has been provided without charge to the end user. Unlike in the States, in the UK the service provider isn't paid for by the non-flying taxpayer, but by the users (in our case, mostly by the airlines) They have said (and so would I) that they are subsidising GA, hence the hike in charge. My point is that it should be proportionate. I suspect that anything less than the proposed charge is going to cost more to administer than the return would be, so for small users, it will be at no direct cost. We'll pay for it when we go for a ride in an airliner, instead!

TOO