PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All but dropping the weapon
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2015, 19:23
Rossian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Deep Cold War....

......was a Panorama doco by Tom Mangold 1973/74 - ish which spelled it all out. This at a time when if one breathed a word about what we did the Spooks would have been down on one like a ton of bricks as some guys DID find out to their cost. This doco even had the imprimatur of Mr SACLANT himself Admiral Ike Kidd in a personal appearance

We, in maritime, did ourselves no favours at all because everything we did was classified up the yingyang. Even many years later I remember briefing a new VVSO on the multitude of Nimrod roles. At the end when I asked for questions he turned to his minder and asked "Why didn't I know ANY of this"? I had to bite my tongue quite hard to remain civil.

I'm convinced it was because at his level the only people they spoke to, or roles they had any understanding of, were the realm of the FJ pilot mafia.

The long term effect of this "myopia" is the current situation we find ourselves for the protection of our seas and approaches.

The short answer to your original question is "yes!" the aim was to be able to say at the end of the process "If I were to drop a weapon now this guy would be toast" AND WE WERE BLOODY GOOD AT IT!

I'll have the meds later nurse if you don't mind.

The Ancient Mariner