PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS to charge for AFPEx access at GA aerodromes
Old 8th Apr 2015, 14:59
TCAS FAN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NATS to charge for AFPEx access at GA aerodromes

Have just seen a NATS email sent to my local GA aerodrome advising them that are to be charged for AFPEx access at £1995 + VAT per annum. It indicated that there had been a consultation between NATS & CAA, have anyone in the GA or other communities been consulted?

I accept that the original intent may have been to provide AFTN access to pilots to file their own flight plans, but AFPEx does provide GA aerodromes the same access to both send and receive flight plans and other flight regularity messages, together with the ability to access NOTAMs, particularly the ability to send them. As such it is a valuable flight safety tool.

What happens now if your GA aerodrome cannot afford the £1995? They will get cut off! Back to sending faxes for FPL and NOTAM, are NATS going to fax or phone when there is an incoming FPL? So much for NATS commitment to safety.

What is happening in CAA, giving in one hand (relaxing some GA regulation), then hitting GA in their pockets with their other?

I would echo the same question as my local GA aerodrome "just what I am I getting for the ever increasing aerodrome licence fee?"