PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL in the U.S.
Thread: PPL in the U.S.
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2015, 10:27
Martin_123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm doing my training in Ireland - Wicklow wings at Newcastle, with the way USD is right now, I really see no point in going to US. Yes, the weather is not always there for us, but we do get bits of good weather as well (like this week for example) if you can get time off, you might as well knock some serious amount of hours and get your PPL sorted in no time and it might even be cheaper than in US. (45 hours + ground school + briefings will cost you somewhat shy of 9k.. if you buy bulk hours like I do, you can knock a grand off to make it 8k)

I was considering going to Florida myself but then I realized I dont wan't to put myself under that much pressure, to learn all the theory in such short time.. I decided to do my PPL in Ireland and then go to a flying holiday in Arizona/Florida in winter, when the weather here is bad

main benefits with club training is - you get to know people, you get contacts, people know you have a decent local skill for Irish weather so they have no problem renting you aircraft post-ppl for 100 eur dry or even cheaper. If you get your PPL in Florida, no owner will rent you their aircraft in Ireland before you do some hour building with school here...

you didn't really say what you plan to do post-ppl, if you want to go commercial, then it's a different story, but for GA flying, stick with Ireland, at least whilst the USD is where it's at..