PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2015, 21:33
class2ldn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train driver - Pilot

Hi all, I'm currently a train driver in central London and as good as it is can't get the thought of becoming a pilot out my head. I'm 32 next month so I know it's leaving it a bit late (been reading the age threads) but I understand it's entirely possible with the right motivation and funds.
I'd be looking at doing a modular route as I'm earning good money at the moment and don't want to give it up for an integrated course and the risk that comes with that.
Problem for me is im currently saving for a house and although my partner is very supportive, she'd go mad if I spent the money on pilot training lol.
I'm in sussex right next to gatwick so going to try and get a taster flight at redhill soon.
I reckon I'd be in a position for a house in around 1-2 years so after that could really fast forward saving for a pilot course as my outgoings are not too much.
From an academic point of view I don't really have much to my name so I know that could be a battle in itself.
Do you think it's doable? I don't want to rush the training so financially it would be more secure but if I was to start at around 35 do you think I'd have a decent chance with getting into an airline with some sort of decent wage (30k +). Currently earning a fair whack more then that but money isn't a big decider, would just like to be in a stable position.
Any advice would be very much welcome, good or bad.
Ito something I'd really love to do but I'm also fairly sensible so don't want to kid myself.
Many thanks