PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2015, 20:49
truckflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Macflea makes many valid points, I would like to correct him one point, there are not hundreds of pilots in his situation (400 hours etc), there are thousands!

I do urge you understand what I wrote, to have a chance you will be looking to be able to spend close to 150.000 Euros in all, and that is the total if some airline offers you a job, where you will have to pay for your own type-rating! Reduce it by around 30.000 Euros, if you never get offer this job chance!

Do not base your luck on Ryanair, they have so many applications, the odds of even getting an interview at your age is remote! Yes they do take few older guys in between to be politically correct, however that is rather the exception than the rule!

I know guys with 1000 - 1500 hours on B737/A320 struggling to get good jobs, you got to ask yourself if you are willing to take the risk, as the financial cost will be considerable high.

I know this from own experience, yes I was lucky, but that is rather the exception than the rule!

Are you and your family able to take the financial hit of the investment? And secondly are you willing to slave for 1200 - 2500 Euros a month?

Is that enough for your and your family to live on? You never being able to be home when you want! When I say never, I mean NEVER! Without exception, there is nobody who cares about your personal reasons, as there another xxx thousands of pilots in the same situation as you!