PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - can sum1 give me loads of information on flying?
Old 12th Jun 2003, 19:44
df1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying Info,

There seem to be many ways of going about getting your ATPL. I assume you are in the thro's of getting the PPL? Definitely get your class 1 first. Its a neccessary hurdle and I think you have to do it at Gatwick (I did my initial there in '92). Check their website for info.

Next is "where to train?". What would you like to fly? Airline, corporate, charter? If you want to get to a major airline then an integated course (ab initio) is a great starting point. You could go with a variety of schools all approved for this such as Oxford, Cabair, BAe Systems in Spain, and many more. Modular is an alternative.

That's another thing. You can (as many do) go overseas, say the US. I did my training in the USA (I fly N-reg aircraft so i did the US licences). European (JAA) or US (FAA) is dependant upon where you want to fly. FAA is cheaper than JAA although you need 250 hrs [to get commercial] as opposed to 200 (or less?) for the JAA. People also say that the FAA is not such a good grounding for a later attempt at JAA. I would be inclined to agree, but actually, the FAA licence is very practical and well established - its not inferior, just suits the US system. And many people are flying worldwide on a US licence.

I have a few contacts if you need more info, please check your private message (click user cp at the top).

Good luck.