PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Competency Based Training a big Con?
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2015, 12:55
Clare Prop

Received 236 Likes on 108 Posts
What you teach is the same as ever, but the way it is recorded is different and can be a lot easier to understand someone's progress than "Bloggs did some quite good landings today" type comments from the old hate sheets.

The weak link IMO is the standard of instructors coming through the system. The amount of fugly instructors who do/say things because "my instructor told me" rather than any kind of in depth knowledge of their own is worrying. They may be able to give nice colourful briefings and land safely from the right hand seat but many wouldn't know the difference between teaching someone something and telling someone something, how to asses the student and then record the outcomes of the lesson in an objective way...I really don't think the current instructor course covers that adequately.

Ask them how they would asses someone as competent and the usual answer is along the lines of "when they can do it like I can because my instructor said that was OK" just shows that it is the training of the trainers than needs to be looked at.