PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are cabin crew safe or not?
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2015, 11:33
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MM - please do not take it as an "insult" to the majority of CC. It's just an ill-thought through knee-jerk reaction to a tragedy.

The arguments are well-rehearsed, but a summary to me would be:
  1. The solution to a pilot intent on killing everyone on board is not to add 1x CC to the Flt Deck, but stop the situation in the first place (and research the "suicides", some are when alone, some with others, some where others return and they fight, and MH370 we do not know)
  2. Securitywise we need to avoid a predictable pattern of behaviour or SOP that enables a plan to "work". 9/11 was, from the terrorists pov, a great success: 4/4 aircraft successfuly taken control of, 3/4 reached their targets. All because SOPs and practices were predictable.
I have no issue with CC on the Flt Deck, we need to trust them. What we must avoid is a rule that is adhered to, that places people in a known and easy position to create serious harm.

If we move to the issue of mental health and depression, I know little more than what my OM A says. I will not quote it here, but if poor mental health / depression on the Flt Deck is a safety hazard, formalising CC on the Flt Deck with just 1 pilot does not seem a logical step