PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada A320 accident at Halifax
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2015, 10:24
Jet Jockey A4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@ CanadianAirbusPilot and Capn Bloggs ...

Where I work we add 50 feet to the MDA and treat it like a DA and make a landing/go around decision at that point.
No, in other countries, the 50ft is added to the MDA to create a "derived decision altitude" at which the go-around must be commenced if not "Visual". It is designed to ensure that the aircraft does not go below the MDA (or if it does, not by very much) during the go-around manoeuvre. You won't catch me flaring at 50ft!

Exactly!

At least in Canada, TC does not want you to go below a DA at anytime unless visual with the landing environment.

So when a CDA is used on a "non precision" type approach with only a MDA published, one must add the 50 foot increase to that MDA and now use that "new DA" minimum as the point where a "visual/landing or Go Around" decision is taken.

This “DA procedure” must be part of an operator’s SOP and must have been approved by TC prior to conducting this procedure.

Now perhaps some operators have different approvals or in some other jurisdictions this is not required at all but I wouldn’t know.