PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2015, 19:09
skyship007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi chaps,
I've booked my FAA class one medical for a few weeks time (Not much chance of passing, as I am a well known lunatic). I'm pushing 60 and although I have a total of around 9000 hours I only hold an FAA CPL (Airships) that is current.
I still have vague hazy dreams that I used to be a flying instructor in the UK for the Oxford Air Training School (CSE Aviation), who seem to have sunk with all hands. In order to get me to leave them they insisted on giving me an SCPL(Senior Commercial Persons License?)/ IR and multi QFI rating. I think I've got around 2000 hours of fixed, glued or bolted wing time.

The problem is that a good old friend of mine is flying some big job (It does not carry passengers apart from the odd stowaway) and has invited me to fly as the P3 (No type rating required), cos the flights are often over 10 hours and my duties will include kicking the type rated co-pilot awake every time an alarm goes off and making the tea.

BUT, the powers that be on the other side of the pond (Probably the insurance company) have insisted that I must hold an FAA ATP (Aerial trained person) and current instrument rating.

I did call up some chap in an Orlando training school, but he started laughing and hung up!

Anyone know the exact requirements, other than finding an instructor (Some new fangled special course according to one advert) with a sense of humor.