PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter EMS Issues in the USA
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2015, 16:04
Devil 49
"Just a pilot"

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Never Fretter posted:
(1)... "With a mega order of 200 B407GXP I don't see Air Methods paying too much attention to passenger size.

Air Methods Buying 200 Bell 407GXP Helicopters | Flying Magazine

(2)... I'm surprised to see no comment here on the two fatal HEMS accidents in the US last month.

More US Night HEMS Accidents

(3)... But at least the FAA have ensured there will never be another HEMS accident in the US (HAA HAA HAA)."

(1) The 407 vs the 350 was purely a better deal by airframe offering. Announced in the company as saving hundreds of millions of dollars. From the line, it doesn't really make much difference to the pilots if you're not operating in a hot and high environment. The AS350 CG issue is usually a less serious issue than patient girth, our safety belts have a finite length and no approved extenders. I might be able to keep you in CG at 350 lbs, but if you're bigger around than 52-54 inches, you're going by truck. I don't see that changing with the 407 deployment.

(2) Two more HEMS night accidents are not remarked on here?
Okay, one appears weather related by an operator for whom this was the fourth fatal crash of 5 aircraft based in Oklahoma in the last 3, 4 or 5 years. Pick an accident in that series, and there may be a reason to excuse the operator. On the other hand, it could well be that this operator is the coal mine canary for the industry that believes it has no problems. That's my opinion.
The other accident may have a weather factor, but I lean more towards a human factor.
We'll have a better idea when the accident reports come out.

(3) I agree entirely and completely, "HAA, ha ha ha". Now that I no longer operate an "emergency service" it removes so much pressure to go... Not.