PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Retirement.....what next?
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2015, 14:10
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
When I'm 65....

Question for the Old Guard. Assuming you live in the UK, what happens to your monthly RAF pension when you reach 65 and are entitled to a State Pension, bus pass etc.? Does it reduce at all?

For example, if the RAF pension is 'X' and the State Pension is 'Y', does the RAF pension reduce to 'X-Y' or do you actually receive 'X+Y' from a grateful nation? Or, at a later date, 'X+nY' if you elect to delay your state pension a while in order to receive a better one?

Banquerre-free terminology in the answer, please!

The only thing I remember from my retirement resettlement briefing was how disappointed I was with Aldershot, where it was held. I'd expected the 'Home of the British Army' to be immaculate, with manicured grass lawns, white painted kerbstones and an overall air of spit and polish about the place. With ramrod-straight Sergeant Majors reminiscent of Richard Attenborough's RSM Lauderdale from Guns of Batasi keeping unfortunate squaddies on their toes..... But it wasn't - it was a shabby, uninspiring dump. Which sadly confirmed my rather jaundiced opinion concerning the way things were heading in the UK Armed Forces.