PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dining In, Dining Out and Mess Fun
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2015, 06:54
BEagle

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts
My, what jolly japes you weather-guessers must have enjoyed....

Parking slots. The bane of many a JP's life. Even I briefly had one with 'CFI' on it outside the training flight building. Apart from a certain AT QFI ("Sooooooooo, co-pilot......."), no-one seemed particularly concerned. I soon found out why - it was under trees infested with what can only have been a flock of incontinent pterodactyls, judging by the state of my car in the early summer. But one of the Stn Cdr's few good ideas was to decree that only Wg Cdrs and above should have their own slots, so that was that - the sign went.

However, back in the days when RAF Scampton was a proper RAF base with 3 squadrons of tin triangles, the junior shags were rather unamused at the appearance of a sign bearing the legend 'DWO' in a prime spot outside the OM. This was a space to which some senior MPBW/DoE bod had decided he was entitled.

The shags thought otherwise. So the sign was removed and another appeared with 'JFO' instead. (Junior Flying Officer).

Round 1 to the shags.

The DWO was rather miffed. So one day a working party appeared with a new sign riveted to a reinforced steel pole and half a cubic yard of concrete. Instead of the normal signs which simply pushed into the grass, so that they could be taken out when the grass-cutter appeared, this magnificent erection was of a significantly more permanent design.....

Round 2 to the DWO.

What should have aroused suspicion was the appearance of a group of said shags during the construction process. Who, to plagiarise War of the Worlds, '"...regarded this activity with envious eyes; and slowly, and surely, they drew their plan...". Which was simple - once the concrete had set and the sign was permanently secure, a couple of cans of spray paint and a stencil amended the DWO's sign back to 'JFO'.....

Game set and match to the shags - until the PMC or some other fun-detector put a stop to the contest after much whingeing from the 'Blunders and Wonders' blunty.