PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands anyone?
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2015, 20:48
CAW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAW, unless you're a native American I'd go easy on the accusations of 'ethic cleansing'.
I do go easy on that.

Regarding the islands and the islanders, there never was a native population. The only ones that had been living for some decades were either argentineans or argentinean representatives (such as Louyis Vernet) by 1833.

The way to make the Falklands want to be Argentine is to love bomb them, not make them out to be nasty little colonialists.
The problem is not what the islanders want or want not. The islanders can and surely would remain british citizens, their way of living and government would be respected, their tax policy should and could have a special status, no mandatory educational or religious imposition would be put upon them... simply because they are not the issue.

Foreigners have been coming to this country for centuries. And I´m talking centuries of Argentina as a country, not "the former spanish colony". They have always been and still are quite welcomed. They could choose what to do regarding their birth citizenship, but still, the Constitution of this country grants them the very same rights as for the native ones (except on the political participation). It could and would not be different for the islanders.

CAW, the history of the islands is far more complex than just 1833. As I'm sure you wil know, The Falklands changed many time throughout their history... Or that ALL the former occupants of The Falklands through the centuries should also have a claim.
Former occupants? No permanet population was ever stablished there other than the spanish/argentinean at the very beggining of the XIX Century. French, British and other europeans never visit the island before the XVII Century... and of course they never stayed there. Diplomatic deals had stablished without doubt that the islands were to be a colonial spanish dependency by the late 1700. So that was the legal link that made the islands argentinean, not to mention that by 1833 they had been inhabited by people sent from the continental Argentina.

You lost the right to complain in the eyes of the world. Time to give this one up.
To the eyes of the world, as every year appears more obvious, the fact that a UN Resolution of 1965 is still being ignored by one of the two countries it addresses to, makes clear how usefull Diplomacy can be.

Now that a deal appears to have been cut with Iran, may be a chance for concrete chats on the matter could flourish. In any case, I think it is a great lesson for all involved.