PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2015, 16:34
philbky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by viscount702
On parking I thought the new 9000 space car park was now fully operational. If so why are they still using the apron for parking. Bring the stands back into use they are needed.

On the terminals we were led to believe that there would be an announcement early this year. Nothing so far. More worrying is the fact that the plans which have been leaked on here and elsewhere are all different. What do you believe.

Mr Cornish said recently if I remember correct that we wouldn't recognise the airport in five years. This implies something is to be done but what and when. It is a bit like Hainan. Mind you he could have been talking about Airport City not the Airport itself

I also recollect that planning permission for the T2 extension already exists because is was gained at the time of the original building with a view to extending when needed which would seem to be now. So provided extending T2 as originally envisaged doesn't interfere with other proposals why not start with this.

There are already signs that expansion by Ryanair etc maybe held back due lack of stands if so it is important that something is done soon.

MAG have been distracted by STN. I think they still are as they see that as the main airport in the Group close to London with plenty of room for expansion and a far better layout into which to expand. Also I believe that on PAX STN will become No 3 again within 2years and that will mean more time will be spent on STN rather than MAN even despite what Davies said.

Mr Cornish said over a year ago that STN would have a China link in about 18 months. I am not sure it will happen but that is the way they are thinking and working.

If MAN doesn't do something about the Terminals and taxiways soon airlines may well start moving away and passengers decline and provided STN keeps growing they (MAG as a business won't care).

Again if I remember correctly a few years ago Taxiway Alpha was going to be rebuilt on a new alignment to improve things but I believe it was shelved and patched up again because of distraction on STN. Also two years ago R1 was completely renewed so why do they still keep closing it for months for maintenance.

It all seems to be do the minimum rather than do what is really needed.
Don't rely on rumours on here or sound bite remarks, you say it yourself-it is like the Hainan situation, but only because everybody is too impatient. When something can be announced, it will be. Airlines will not move away unless passenger numbers decline. They are interested in seat generated revenue, not the experience landside. Manchester still relies heavily on home based traffic. Are you seriously saying that the passenger base will elect to commute to BHX, NCL LPL or Heathrow? The terminal experience is transitory, though it may be a pain for regular flyers, but then train commuters have to put up with poor condition twice a day but few opt for other methods to get to and from work. The stand problem is different but look outside the micro world of Manchester. Delays getting onto stand is a worldwide phenomenon. I've been sat on a 747 at T5 for 40 mins waiting for a stand, and that's on BA at their own terminal. There are many other examples.

As far as runway and other work is concerned no company does unnecessary work. If the work needs doing, it needs doing.
Finally Stansted. MAG owns Stansted but it operates as a separate entity. You seem to think the airport, the groups major asset, is in danger of being neglected. I certainly don't see it that way.