PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2015, 13:27
j636

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
j636 - What MAN can fill and what MAN is given the opportunity to fill are not the same thing where the US big 3 are concerned. Historic data confirms this. And given the fares charged ex-MAN, the yields must be fantastic throughout the Summer months.
hmm!

Three points:

Little Red has only just departed the scene and whilst not in the same alliance as BA there is nothing to stop particularly in house travel agents with good UA prices from London putting their clients on BA to London to connect, especially if mileage points come into the equation, though DUB would be more acceptable due to immigration pre-clearance

UA is still going through a major merger and the fleet is still being shaken down. The regional European airports are suffering the 757 because 767s and 777s not required for primary European and Asian destinations are more profitably used to South America where the hold capacity has a greater profit potential. My estimate is that the use of 757s to MAN has driven away a good number of former passengers. The delays to the introduction of the 787 hasn't helped.

Please explain how Edinburgh is a better place to visit than Manchester. In terms of leisure tourism Manchester itself comes third in the UK after London and Edinburgh with just a quarter of Edinburgh's visitors but the airport attracts more inbound leisure tourists than Edinburgh airport because of the greater number and diversity of attractions accessible from the airport and the fact that the majority of inbound visitors to Edinburgh arrive by road or rail. In terms of business tourism, Manchester has three times the number of inbound visitors, even more if you add those who use the airport to visit the surrounding counties. VFR trips are almost equal but Manchester has almost four times the number of Edinburgh's study and unclassified visitors, again the figure increases due to the airport serving the surrounding counties.
1 - the majority of bookings are via airlines websites now days and as said no LHR connections offered with UA.

2 - Don't buy the merger excuse, UA have found 752 (2 for DUB, 1 NCL, 1 EDI, 1 SNN) plus 2 B764 for VCE/FCO to name a few for this summer and in recent summers....I agree about the larger aircraft however it's not the route of the problem at MAN.

3 - I knew the EDI comment would ruffle a few feathers! Yes a lot arrive via ground however an new routes with UA, AA and AC in recent years have changed it. If couldn't possible explain my reasons for saying EDI is better, would be here all day!

It is disappointing that UA haven't upgraded a/c to EWR. When I asked the question at their stand at the Manchester Travel Show in January, I got the inevitable answer that they would like to when suitable equipment was available.

Someone suggested the fact they hadn't returned to double daily or larger a/c was very 'telling' (and I must admit it was a surprise when United decided to start a NCL, a route previously announced by AA but then cancelled before it started). However, I don't think it tells us that the reason is due to lack of demand in view of the following:

Some figures reported about 18 months ago (I think by MAN) showed that the most under-served route from MAN was New York.

AA have actually decided to upgrade their JFK flight, albeit to an ageing B767.

More capacity for pax, including the enhanced J class, and cargo.

Delta obviously believe there is demand and that they can make money, as they start JFK shortly.

The high fares already referred to, which I hope is because the demand is there for the direct service and is not simply a device to get passengers to fill up those LHR seats irrespective of the impact on the MAN flights.

And thanks to some excellent posts recently by several contributors.
Will be interesting to see how long DL stick with JFK and if it becomes year round or upgraded to B763. If they exit MAN again then it may explain a lot and why perhaps UA have not restored EWR capacity.

On a more general point are MAG is active discussions with these carriers and making MAN a destination of choice for them to expand into by offering the competitive fees like competitors? or are they solely focused on East routes?