PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2015, 10:44
MANFOD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the absence of Little Red, Star Alliance are happy to book connections to LHR with BA. Not just United, many Air Canada fares via BA shuttle to LHR undercut their own Direct Rouge service, presumably to fill up all those 777 & 767s they operate from LHR.
I know some will preach "free market" and it's airlines who set fares which MAN can do nothing about, but you do have to wonder whether MAN is competing on a level playing field. At times, fares on United's flights from MAN do seem astronomically high which suggests the demand is there.

It is disappointing that UA haven't upgraded a/c to EWR. When I asked the question at their stand at the Manchester Travel Show in January, I got the inevitable answer that they would like to when suitable equipment was available.
Someone suggested the fact they hadn't returned to double daily or larger a/c was very 'telling' (and I must admit it was a surprise when United decided to start a NCL, a route previously announced by AA but then cancelled before it started). However, I don't think it tells us that the reason is due to lack of demand in view of the following:

Some figures reported about 18 months ago (I think by MAN) showed that the most under-served route from MAN was New York.

AA have actually decided to upgrade their JFK flight, albeit to an ageing B767.
More capacity for pax, including the enhanced J class, and cargo.

Delta obviously believe there is demand and that they can make money, as they start JFK shortly.

The high fares already referred to, which I hope is because the demand is there for the direct service and is not simply a device to get passengers to fill up those LHR seats irrespective of the impact on the MAN flights.

And thanks to some excellent posts recently by several contributors.

Last edited by MANFOD; 4th Apr 2015 at 11:17.