PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2015, 10:33
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vlieger: that link you posted - never did I think I'd read something from a journal titled "Marxist" and applaud it, but the first half I agreed with... will read the rest later.

Originally Posted by caneworm View Post
"I think every serious airline company need to have internal
examination system to prevent from flying people with mental problems".

It's our employers right to know everything about their workers to determine their fitness to fly.
There are a few flaws in what you say. Firstly you start with "every serious airline company" and end with "our employers right to know everything ". LH is unusual in that it is a large airline with resources, and as such has been seen as accountable for the pilots' mental health assessment. caneworm's link gives what I think is more accurate:
Naturally, airlines select candidates who can deal with those stresses and pressures. For that matter, Lubitz was a product of Lufthansa Flight Training, a prestigious institution that uses the infamous DLR test. This Flight Aptitude and Skills Test is one of the hardest selection procedures in the industry and has a very low pass rate. However, as all current selection procedures, they do not check for mental illness. Sure, psychological profiles are checked, but those simply determine if someone fits into the job and company, not if he or she has a mental illness (as if this would be possible anyway).
Even if LH did have the resources and legal right to know everything, make the assessment, a small startup airline with 1 or 2 737s would not... but can still end up as GW.

Health, including mental health, should be a level playing field, and a Class 1 Medical Certificate is, and should be IMO, the sole criteria for "fitness to fly". Reword your post to:
"I think every Aircrew Medical authority need to have an examination system to prevent from flying people with mental problems".

It's the Authorities right to know everything about the Pilots to certify and determine their fitness to fly
I might agree, albeit how on earth they would achieve it I do not know?