PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CYPRUS LOA
Thread: CYPRUS LOA
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2015, 05:32
4everAD

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
LOA for a Sqn Ldr with 2 children in Germany is now a whopping £3 a day, that will compensate you for the whole cost of moving your family abroad /wrecking your credit score etc. Equivalent rate 4 years ago was £21 a day now tell me that is all to do with the ffr fluctuating and not a blatant cost saving measure. Here in Cyprus I will be £156 a month worse off because of the loa reduction as I rather recklessly send money back to the UK to a government backed/protected savings account, shame on me for not trusting the robbing Cypriot government.

The "Package" has been reviewed and the amazing measures they came up with were:
1. Increased disturbance allowance on outward move only (£400 extra), but loa will be cut accordingly. Basically they have incorporated the satellite/cable element into the disturbance allowance so will remove that element from loa. Cost effect neutral.
2. Unaccompanied VSOs will get full disturbance when they move into their official residence. Cost effect, who cares about VSOs?
3. Extra flights for children at boarding schools. Cost effect, trooper flights are on anyway so I imagine not a great deal.
4. Those travelling on posting to NW Europe can now have a nights subsistence. Cost effect, how many personnel do we have now in NW Europe, 100-200?
I may have missed others off but you get the idea, IMO they want people to serve abroad but aren't prepared to make it attractive enough to get people to volunteer. If you need 2 wages to pay your mortgage and have a comfortable life (including your partner having a rewarding career) then who in their right mind is going to go overseas and live off one wage and the pittance that loa has become?

Last edited by 4everAD; 4th Apr 2015 at 05:44.