PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uni or not? (Merged 2013)
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2015, 01:34
Seanmul89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do, work and save or College.

Hey all,
Thought i would put up a thread on my position on deciding whether to go to college, stay in my full time job with decent pay, save up for the next while and fund an Integrated ATPL course.

Im 26 now, I have a few hours logged so far doing PPL. I am currently employed the last 9 years. I still have the position for the next 11 years all going well if i want. What I was thinking was leaving next year to go to UNI to do a degree. At that stage if i graduated i would be 30-31 years of age. In between that and now I will be applying for Aer Lingus cadetship, which is quite hard to get a place. I have the level of education required to apply so why not, but previous cadets that were chosen had graduated with impressive degrees etc.

So this had me thinking. Having the military behind me and other things could stand to me i dont know, but i will find out.
Would saving for the next while be the right move, as I could shoot myself in the foot leaving a full time position, go to uni with no money for the next few years but yet i could be saving for that time in work? Possibly do a part time course in the evenings, I doubt i will be overseas for the next while so could be an option.
What would some people do in my position?
I know this thread should probably be for a careers advisor lol but anyway, someone might have done this, the advice i need could be here, or ideas.
Little long but just looking to see other thoughts. Thanks