PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Retirement.....what next?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2015, 23:20
Genstabler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I approached the prospect of retirement after being a soldier for all my adult life I was full of foreboding. I left at 57 and in the event it all worked out fine.
After 34 years, provided you are free of debt, the pension is enough to live comfortably on, though without extravagance, and there is no need to commute or be shat on from above. I became involved in voluntary work with the RBL and ABF but avoided reunions while staying in contact with a few close Service friends, mostly ex aviators. I have been a community first responder, a wonderful voluntary job for an ex-service person, for the last 12 years and have now attended over 70 medical emergencies. Nowadays it is not often that I attend a patient older than I am. Though otherwise healthy I had a brief brush with cancer (please have your PSA checked regularly) but had surgery and can now pee and function fairly normally. I live in God's own country on the edge of the N York Moors with the lovely WRAF girl I married 45 years ago. I am proud of all my children, one of whom is a RAF pilot. I am very fortunate. I am very content. I am never bored.
Don't be afraid of retirement. Don't harbour regrets. Don't be rash. Don't pay higher rate tax. Live a good life.
Retirement is wonderful and as icing on the cake I get my free TV licence in a couple of years!