PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2015, 22:42
klintE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ollie Onion
Do you exclude everyone who had clinical depression in the past and has recovered according to all the available evidence?
If someone is fully recovered than should pass the examination with any problems, right?
You say pilots should be checked every year, what do you think will happen if you start checking pilots every year with the threat of dismissal if they are found to be depressed? I suspect you will end up driving this condition further underground or triggering MORE of these episodes.
Fear of test can't lead to depression. If so, than it's an evidence that person is unsuitable with stressful environment like flying an airliner.
Also most loss of licence policies will NOT pay out on mental disorders so the whole think encourages pilots to just keep quiet.
Yes they may not want to admit it.
So the company needs to check it forcedly.

Originally Posted by mercurydancer
Reactive depression is very common and it is likely to affect many people. Reactive depression is a very frequent result of normal life events, such as a parent or partner (or even worse, a child) dying. A good occupational health service of any employer should have the mechanisms to deal with this. If they do not, then they should.
Ok, I should expand my list with temporary ban on flying