PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Retirement.....what next?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2015, 22:26
Janda

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
I left the RAF just over 20 years ago. It wasn't my decision but one brought on by peace breaking out and the down sizing of a number of NATO forces. Having served for just under 24 years got a small pension and of course a gratuity. Luckily the RNZAF was looking for someone with my skills and offered me a job. Came to NZ on a 5 year contract with all expenses paid. Got a 5 year extension but decided just before my 50th birthday to pull the plug and hand back my uniform. That was 12 years ago and I have not missed being in uniform at all.

Since I left I have done quite a number of different jobs ranging from International Relations with NZ Customs to contract work with the Electoral Commission. My income is very much down on what it was when I left the RAF but what I earn with periodical work combined with my RAF pension I still maintain a good lifestyle. Of course I can only do that because all debt has been settled and I do not owe anyone a cent.

When not working I have a productive garden and chooks to look after. I also volunteer at the local museum.

Whilst I did not want to leave the RAF in 1994 it was perhaps the best thing that could have happened. It allowed me the opportunity to try a new country and experience new things. I have also missed out on what appears to have been quite a turbulent 20 years in the British Defence Forces.