PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Viscount incident at Speke (1970s)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2015, 21:17
hector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It must have been a bit contagious in Alidair! I remember witnessing one of their Viscounts taxiing into it's GPU at LSI sometime in the mid to late 70s. It was in the days when the terminal was at Virkie on the west side of 15/33.

His ground handler had disconnected the GPU and was just about to get in the tractor to move it when the guy called for taxi and then started to move forward. The ground handler saw what was happening and ran backwards frantically waving up at the flight deck to stop. It looked as though the Capt saw him because the nose oleo suddenly dipped as he hit the brakes but just too late. His port inner hit the GPU spraying bits of it all over the airfield.

I watched this happen from the flight deck of another Viscount as we waited for clearance to cross 15/33. It was one of these incidents that you just knew was going to happen but didn't have time to shout a warning over a busy R/T.

I must have a look in the relevant log book. I think I made a note in the remarks column as you don't see something like that every day!