PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2015, 19:04
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another of those "God give me strength" rules from EASA

There is a difference. Your Mother's objection to a wearing a seatbelt was based on poor interpretation of factual data. Having an additional crew member enter when another leaves does have valid, historical data as to why it should not be done. The data I've seen shows that in last ten years or so, six or so accidents have been attributed to suicides. In that time, tens of millions of flights have taken place without incident. However, during a short period some time ago, our little airline has suffered missed R/T calls, snagged controls and C/Bs and water ingress on avionics. The starting point of bigger problems. Furthermore, just exactly what are cabin crew expected to do to stop someone intent on topping themselves. Our company have very few cabin crew I could over-power, with or without a fire axe. This unsafe, stupid rule is the invention of a mindless bureaucratic trying to appeal to the half-witted public, the baying media and their political masters.

The problem is that not enough time and effort (in fact, no effort) has been invested in making sure that pilots like me start off and remain sane throughout their careers; even when they have to personal problems to deal with. Even less will have been spent on bus and train divers, medics, police officers, service personnel etc. All of whom could ruin your day should they be having a bad one.