PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Retirement.....what next?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2015, 14:43
The Old Fat One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some good posts above...this I think is excellent.

I think that post retirement peace of mind is in direct correlation with the financial aspects of your pension. If nothing else because that dictates whether you need to continue on a crusade to find work. I did 37 years and retired last November aged 55 on a PAS pension and consider myself to be a very fortunate chap. I had the opportunity to return to my old job on ADC terms and did not apply for it; mainly because I could see how 40% taxation and increases in NI contributions allied to no HTD made the prospect unviable. I don't consider myself shallow for decisions driven on finance for the alternative is to engage in the never ending list of enjoyable things in life. Quite frankly there are not enough hours in the day and I am far too busy to reminisce or read RAF News. I make an exception for a few minutes Ppruning. My mission is to reap the pension for longer than it took me to earn it!
Having financial security in retirement is absolutely key to having a happy retirement for 99% of us. You will be amazed at how far your money goes, if your retire debtless.

At 58 I still work and I'm still adding to my families wealth (in fact I'm just kicking off my third career), but It's my choice entirely. In 2011 I spent the whole year travelling and being outdoors...it was immense!!

You can't do stuff like that if you are worried about the pennies.

Step 1 Make yourself financially secure (no debt to service).
Step 2 Spend your days doing whatever floats your boat.

Back in 2011 I met many, many people from all walks of life (and that in itself was a buzz). I was often asked "what's retirement like then?".

My answer was always the same..."you know that feeling you get at about four o'clock on a Friday afternoon - when you are retired you feel like that every moment of everyday."