PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did any RAF or RN aircrew on exchange with USAF, USN fly over Vietnam?
Old 3rd Apr 2015, 12:21
Knucklehead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C141 Pilot

I cannot confirm this first account but I can the second. In Singapore while on loan service an RAF Wg Cdr told me the tale of a an RAF pilot on loan to the USAF MATS Starlifter force. He was asked to take cargo into Saigon and said that he was not allowed to fly over, let alone land in Vietnam. His boss told him that they were short of crews and assured him that he would land, turn round and leave immediately. After landing at Saigon all hell broke loose. His cargo was unloaded, replaced with a new load and he was told to head for Da Nang as the Tet offensive was causing severe problems. His protests fell on deaf ears so away he went. He flew quite a few transport support sorties before returning safely to the States. He did not talk about his experiences. Some time later the British Embassy in Washington sent him a polite letter asking him to explain the US campaign ribbons including an Air Medal which they had received on his behalf. Evidently he was allowed to keep but not wear them. Can't write a new paragraph but here is the second account. In the ANZUK mess at Changi in 1973, I met two British army officers from I believe the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. Both were wearing Vietnam campaign ribbons awarded to Australian forces. They had been asked to resign from the British army and get experience by joining the Australian army with the assurance that there commissions and posts in the regiment. were secure.

Last edited by Knucklehead; 3rd Apr 2015 at 12:24. Reason: no capial