PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAA Flying Unit Doves
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2015, 07:46
ExSp33db1rd

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
BOAC ran a fleet of Doves for Navigator training and Instrument practice for the likes of me and my colleagues, Navigators in the back, 4 ( I think? ) and yours truly sometimes practising for the Instrument Rating in the left hand seat, often on trips to Shannon v.v.

On May 10th 1958 I flew my Instrument Rating on G-AOVI and at the end of the flight the Check Captain, Mike Moss, signed off my I/R then announced that the Dove Fleet was to be abandoned as of end of flying that day, viz. I was the last I/R candidate - and he couldn't fail the last one, could he !! I'll never know if he was joking.

Another BOAC Dove was used one night to film the then new Calvert Approach Lighting on Rwy. 10L that had been installed at Heathrow . ( the present upside down Christmas tree lighting system ) The film shows the aircraft approaching over the lights, then there is an obvious yaw, and the lights rise up above the aircraft. The Dove had suffered an engine failure, and the pilot feathered the wrong engine. Ooops ! I believe the controls to feather was between the pilot seats and slightly rearwards, and in the dark the wrong knob was selected. Stand to be corrected, was nearly 60 years ago.