PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tuna Spotting, tuna boat ops (incl Guam)
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2003, 07:18
3top

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Scrole and the rest of the gang!

There are a couple of misconcepts on this track, most of the information is out dated, I will try to clear it up:

a) There are nearly no more Bell 47 or Hughes 500 on tunaboats.
The few that are have longtime pilots and you will not get any 500 job with a total of 140 (or 200 hrs for this matter)

b) Donīt waste all your money on R-22 time. ANYTHING flying on tunaboats today is in the process to get replaced by the Robinson R-44, so that is what you need time in.

c) Just being a pain in the neck on the phone will not do it. You have to be there when they need you. They will not wait for you to arrive in 3-4 days. If they have to wait that long, they will wait for someone with experience and more hours. RIGHT TIME - RIGHT SPOT!!

d) Good chance, go to an operator (tuna helicopter) who also has a flightschool and make a deal - you spend the time in the machine and they give you a chance on a boat! Go and check www.helipan.com in Panama.

e) Although there is only one boat under Panamanian flag, there are at least 20 helicopters under Panama registration, however nowadays you need a Panamanian license to fly a Panama reg heli. However as you need to fly some time in a R-44 you have plenty of time to get a Tuna check out ( I do them myself here...) and make the Panamanian Commercial as well!

f) Samoa and Guam sucks as these are extremly long trips. As far as I know Hughes 500 fly Pilot-Mechanics only. But I may be wrong...

g) Even if nearly everyone speaks English, most sets (when they catch the fish..) are done in Spanish/Portuguese, so first thing tomorrow morning, go and buy a Spanish course and get at it!!
There are more and more SPanish vessels coming to fish here and they bring there own skippers - Spaniards - no english!!

h) Forget Venezuela or venezuelan registered Helicopters - political mess - no licence - no pay...

i) dito Ecuador - Mexico - Columbia

j) Most Ecuadorian boats run a different flag and register their Helicopters in Panama - you still need a Panamanian license but this is nearly no hassle in Panama, even for foreigners. Donīt get it wrong: You can get the license, but you can not work IN Panama without a valid Work permit. For Tuna spotting you do not need a work permit.

k) Panama IS the best place to get in Contact with the industry.

l) I came home from my last trip at the end of february from a 1 month trip after 3 years off the boats.

Check everyone, however your best bet is Helipan Corp. in Panama, if you are willing to spend some time in a R-44 (I would say plan on 20-25 hours) and if you want a R-22 check out, as this is a good prep for reaction!!

3top