PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAA Flying Unit Doves
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2015, 15:31
Talkdownman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Captains I flew with on the MinAir Doves were Messrs. Burman, Hawkes, Henn, Whittaker and Woodman. The airframes involved were LFU, NAP, NUU and NUW. As radar students we were often allowed to fly the aircraft whilst the captain re-loaded his pipe, knocking the 'dottle' out the DV window. One of them, 'UW I think, didn't have a control column on the right, which made it more difficult. Usually the radar approaches, apart from the last approach of course, were flown at the same level, with all the vertical being simulated. Wouldn't have worked with a 424. My favourite was waiting for the student controller to carry out an ident whilst making very steep turns in the radar and VDF overheads! Yes, we did NCNG, and on a Tx fail the pilot forgot and erroneously replied. The instructor (Norman Kearle) said "you didn't transmit just then did you?" To which the pilot replied "certainly not". Well, it amused me at the time... Interestingly, on one of the them, on the actual descent we were asked to report leaving 80, but we had actually been at 70 for the previous 45 minutes...