PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada A320 accident at Halifax
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2015, 15:18
CanadianAirbusPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Might have been a good idea.

Might have been. We are unsure of the reasons for the crash at this point. They had the required vis to shoot the approach, other than a stiff cross wind coupled with a runway that was contaminated there were no other huge red flags. Poor conditions? Yes, but not breaking any of the rules flying that approach. Regardless they ended up short of the runway, it would appear right on centreline.

You add 50 feet to your MDA gives you about 320 AGL. There would be time to decide you have no runway insight and go around. If at 320 feet AGL you break out right at minimums (on path) I doubt you'd have enough room to dive it down to where they hit the ground. If you broke out a little earlier with the "lights only" you would thing the vis good enough (I know it was fluctuating) to see that the path the airplane was on was not working.

Perhaps there was an illusion with the road? Perhaps parked cars looking like runway edge marking?

When looking at this accident my biggest concern coming in would have been the runway surface condition and frankly that was never an issue because they didn't make the runway. You shoot the approach to legal minimums and if you don't have anything it's off to YQM.

While everything seems to have been done legally here the shame is that there was no ILS onto 32 and it being open/plowed. Both 32 and 05 don't have a precision approach and frankly while that may be okay in the prairies where weather patterns are such that if an ILS is required you know where the winds are coming from, in YHZ the weather patterns can vary so much it would make sense to have at least a cat 1 to all runways.