PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2015, 13:51
Tom Bangla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@IanW

I think that this crash is going to have a big effect on the industry.
I wonder if it will. It will have, and already has had, a big effect on the psyche of SLF and crew alike. From a crew perspective, people will be thinking about those they have flown with in the past and those they do fly with now (I always had misgivings about X...., etc). And from a pax perspective, people will imagine themselves in the situation of those unfortunate GW passengers and think, there but for grace of God go I. As you say, it's all to do with perceptions.

The way news is consumed these days means that it won't be long before such fears are subsumed and softened by the next major story of relevance to its audience. And the severity of those perceptions - although they won't disappear entirely - will reduce and be filed, mentally and emotionally, with all the other flotsam and jetsam that litter the horizon of daily life. Which leaves a clear field for mature, considered examination of what, if any, changes can and should be made in response to the GW crash. This thread suggests that few would argue against no changes being made to SOP (with the possible exception of four eyes versus two in the FD), while the spotlight may ultimately turn its attention as much on the medical profession as on pilots.

Separately, regarding Lubitz's reported prediction that his actions will change aviation -- what changes might he have thought necessary, and what changes would he have envisaged or wanted?

Last edited by Tom Bangla; 2nd Apr 2015 at 13:56. Reason: added 4 eyes vs 2