PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAA Flying Unit Doves
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2015, 13:49
pulse1

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
HD,

I think I also flew with this pilot and referred to it in another thread recently. You may remember one exercise which involved continuous tight turns above the radar head asking the student for a radar service. I have never enjoyed being flown so much, even in those turns. He seemed like a really nice man and treated me like an equal, even consulting me when one engine wouldn't start. He hadn't turned the mags on!

I remember that there were something like 22 different exercises and the instructor would call out the number and we would carry it out. Some exercises involved missetting the gyro compass until the student realised we were always flying about 30 degrees off course.

On one flight we descended over the sea and called for radar guidance onto the ILS. Of course, the student couldn't see us but still gave us a heading. Eventually, the pilot requested a climb which was refused until he admitted that, if we didn't climb, we would hit the flats above Bournemouth beach.

Of course, the best flights for me were when a bored pilot let me do all of the flying. Not only did I enjoy it but I learned a lot about flying IFR.